Data Warehouse: Should You Build or Buy?
Should you build a customized data warehouse solution or buy Datalytics Technologies’ prebuilt RapidDecision solution? The ‘Build vs. Buy’ question – a perennial one in IT – requires careful thought and analysis.
When you compare each approach, it’s important to evaluate how long a custom data warehouse will take to build, how much it will cost, what type of development expertise will be required, and whether your required resources will be available. Then evaluate the benefits of leveraging the expertise Datalytics Technologies has gained from hundreds of successful data warehouse implementations. With RapidDecision, we’ve thought of everything – setup is as simple as selecting and customizing the modules that are right for you.
Before you make a decision, consider the following issues:
Initial Costs and Time-to-Value
A prebuilt data warehouse costs much less than a custom-designed data warehouse and can be implemented in a fraction of the time. Custom-built solutions are resource-intensive and timelines often stretch from weeks into months, and from months into years.
- Costs 70 to 90 percent less than a custom implementation
- Has an implementation time of days, not months
- Reduces risk with the industry’s only fixed-fee implementation success guarantee
- Costs to install and test data marts are fixed, so there are no cost surprises
- Saves countless development hours and costs with:
- Prebuilt dashboards and reports
- Thousands of prebuilt mappings and transformations per subject area
- Building blocks to create metrics and analytics to suit your business needs (not a fixed set of analytics)
IT Knowledge Required
Because data warehouses need current information – not information updated daily or weekly – customers who design a custom data warehouse require deep skills in the following areas:
- Data warehouse design
- Business intelligence (BI) requirements
- Database architecture, design, development, and administration
- Extract, transfer and load (ETL) including change data capture (CDC) architecture, design and development
- Real-time design optimization
The Datalytics Technologies team has implemented hundreds of data warehouses for industry-leading brands. This is what we do all day, every day. With RapidDecision, you can leverage our deep knowledge in a wide variety of subject areas, such as real-time design or performance optimization, rather than having to develop this expertise yourself.
ERP Knowledge Required
RapidDecision provides the broadest out-of-the-box support for multiple ERP systems, versions and past releases. This eliminates the need for you to deeply understand the internal workings of these systems.
Ongoing Maintenance Costs
In-house development teams don’t often stop to consider a solution’s sustainability – how upgrades and ongoing maintenance will be handled. RapidDecision provides ERP upgrade protection, shielding your reports and queries from changes in new versions and releases.
RapidDecision’s open architecture enables you to choose the BI tools or databases that best fit your unique business environment.
- JDE Enterprise One
- JDE World
- 23 available marts
- 23 available marts
- 7,000 available marts
- 5 available marts
- 300,000+ mappings
- 275,000+ mappings
- 84,000+ mappings
- 60,000+ mappings